Important Questions You MUST Ask Your Roofer Before Signing a Contract
It’s also a big investment. The roof is such an important part of your home, as it protects everything you
own from all weather conditions. This is why you should really be sure to ask the right questions when
hiring a company to install a new roof.
Here is a list of the top questions to ask before hiring anyone to install your new roof:
1. New Roof or Re-Roof?This answer will help determine why your price is higher or lower than other offers! One way roofers try to cut corners is by inspecting your old roof, and then re-roofing it - or by shingling over it. However, if they don’t remove the old shingles, you will never know if there is rotting wood or soft spots underneath. If you are hiring a worthy, experienced roofer they will remove the old shingles first.
2. Are they a licensed roofer?Each state has different regulations. Many states do require that a roofer is licensed. Do some research and see if your state requires licensing. If so, make sure they company you are hiring has a valid, up to date license.
3. Do they carry insurance?You definitely want the answer to be yes. The company you are hiring should not only have general
liability insurance, but also workman’s compensation insurance. Workman’s compensation will cover
the employees on your property and general liability insurance will cover your actual property.
4. Will they install metal or drip edge?You want the answer to this to also be yes. Drip or metal edge is a piece of aluminum that goes underneath the shingle around the edge of the roof. The aluminum sticks out past the shingles so that
any runoff will go into your gutters and not damage your soffits, decking or fascia. Many roofers do not do this unless asked!
5. How will they protect your landscape?It’s very easy to only think about what the roofers will be doing on top of your home, but it is equally
important that they are protecting your landscape as well. This includes your trees, bushes, flowers, and even your gutters.
6. Do they supply a container for refuse?Replacing a roof is not a mess-free job and they company should provide their own disposal container for the refuse. They should also be the ones to put the refuse into the container.
7. If needed, what will the cost of plywood be?Once your old shingles are up, if the wood underneath needs replaced, this can get quite costly. It’s
important to ask how much the roofers will charge per sheet of plywood, so you have a number in mind if they do need to replace it.
8. Will there be someone who you can communicate with during the project?Imagine getting home from work and finding the crew is gone for the day, but left you with your home in unlivable conditions. You are going to want to be able to contact the project manager immediately. You should definitely have access to this person.
9. Do they provide a written estimate?Do not sign a contract without a detailed, written estimate. The estimate should include all costs, including the cost of replacing the old plywood if need be.
At Mitchell Roofing Company, we want you to ask us all of these questions and more, because we are confident in our answers, as should any company you’re looking to hire.
Get more information on the quality products we use or read reviews from the decade of customers we have served. Call 727-288-4650